Friday, July 1, 2011

Daniel Amos Concert Review: Zeke's in Ames, Iowa June 16, 2011


The return of the beat menace
Chronicles continue to be written – even on summer nights here in the mid-west. Ames, Iowa may not be located exactly on the “glory road” trail, but unbeknownst to some, Iowa’s I-35 has been dubbed the eschatological “Highway of Holiness.” I'll have to re-check my eschatological views on that one, but while I'm doing that... …enter… a band called Daniel Amos.

It had been a long, long… long time since I’d seen Terry Taylor and company in concert. Since they haven't toured in over ten years, most other DA fans can likely empathize. Back in the (very) early 1980’s, the first Christian album I ever purchased was Daniel Amos’ “Horrendous Disc” - with my purchase of the first album installment of the “Alarma” chronicles following quickly on its heels. Back then, the Christian music scene took a long time to catch up with what these artists were doing – and it’s arguably yet to have caught up even now (if there’s any doubt about this – go here and re-assimilate the song “Shedding the Mortal Coil” – keeping in mind this avant-garde art song with lyrics drawing from a Shakespearean-filtered Biblical worldview expression - was written and recorded smack in the middle of 1979-1981 when everything represented by the aforementioned was considered to be highly suspect. Many in Christian circles were still not even sure if a Christian should… ever… play an electric guitar, let alone “getting all weird” about it).

In spite of everything that’s already been said about them – it remains nearly impossible to not give way to understatement. In those days, along with their style experimentations, lyric boundaries being pushed, and deeper thoughts being mined, there was always the trademark “fun” to be had. During that season, there was a progressive consolidation of all of it going on in my own life – which not only directly prompted me to think more “Christianly,” but also planted the seeds of taking classic Christian literature seriously. As an early listener of D.A., I’d had very little exposure to the likes of T.S. Elliot, C.S. Lewis, Dostoevsky – just to name several who have been lyrical and visionary influences on the band. Eventually, the works of these kinds of authors became a significant part of my own life. You might say Taylor’s lyrics were used by the “Master” to crash down the “walls” of my “wood” between two “worlds.” Over the long haul, I’d even like to think I became less of a hollow man (speaking of - go here to tap into yet another Christian literature inspired art-tune that was light-years ahead of its time in Christian music experimentation).

Thankfully, this summer 2011 set list was replete with stand-out favorites. This includes “Mall Over the World” “Walls of Doubt” “Endless Summer” “Ghost of the Heart” “I Love You #19” – among others. The set also featured the more “modern” classic – Kalhoun's “If You Want To.” There were also a number of surprises, like one of my all time favorites “Hold Back the Wind, Donna” which I never thought I’d get to hear them play live. The audience was even treated to a testimony and presentation of the first song Taylor and Chamberlain ever wrote and recorded together (which will remain nameless in this review to keep from spoiling it for 2011 concert goers) – with the two of them eventually being joined by the rest of the band with amazing vocal harmonies.    

Mesmerizing vocal harmonies

I want to note that the addition of Paul Averitt has more than held up the expected smokin' DA bass riffs, but has also resulted in exemplary vocal support (kudos to Paul for being versed enough in DA discography to be able to punch out some impromtu measures of "Shedding the Mortal Coil" upon request). Also, the 2011 guitar combo of Chamberlain and Flesch is the equivalent of having Chuck Berry and Snakefinger on stage at the same time. Ed McTaggart, as usual, rounds things out with the ever-interesting, choppy punches on the drum-kit.

Furthermore, experiencing the solo platform presence of Jerry Chamberlain singing “Man in the Moon” (from Horrendous Disc) was… surreal. He also explained that the song was about Sung Myung Moon - something I never realized. 
"Man in the Moon"
After he finished... I voiced out loud "Little Crosses?" and got him to chuckle.

Along with some others – I had a great time requesting songs out loud – mainly for the sake of interaction with the band. At one point, if I should say so : ), I was able to prompt a strong arousal from the crowd during a particular silent moment by boldly stating two simple words with demonstrative diction:
After people whooped in response, Terry said: “Our dance stopped a long time ago” (with laughs all around). Classic. The set did feature the edgy humor of “New Car” and “Hide the Beer, The Pastor’s Here” (if only Terry knew there was a “pastor” in attendance it might have been even more humorous).
"be a little more specific"



Jerry sports Doppelganger guitar
 Silly interaction with the band notwithstanding, I personally wouldn’t have changed anything in the set list. Much of this is due to the fact that there was such an excellent representation from the wide variety of thoughtful gems in their catalog (including "The Twist" "Sanctuary" "Buffalo Hills" "Joel"). I will always like the “Dance Stop(s)” of the DA world, but there is a reflective poignancy in Terry and DA’s 2011 summer set that I wouldn’t trade. Fittingly with the Johnny Cash shirt Mr. Taylor was dawning, I’m of the view he and the band have the potential to write/perform their best material during this “last trimester" of their careers. They not only sound great vocally/harmonically – I would go so far as to say there is a more markedly pensive, even more decidedly spiritual element in their concerts than I can recall from the old days. I’m reminded of Ravi Zacharias’ book “Recapture the Wonder” - and it is quite evident that Mr. Taylor… has (not that he ever really “lost” the wonder). Consequently, we as the listeners get to share the sanctuary.
Terry shares the wonder
My wife and I were even with some new friends experiencing DA, in every way, shape, and form... for the very first time - and they seemed very pleasantly "into" the whole set.

In all, the setting (at "Zeke's" - Ames, Iowa - an awesome venue to see a band) was intimate and the crowd enthusiastic – which resulted in the inclusion of the band playing two encores that were far from gratuitous. Putting it mildly, attendees wanted them back - badly. They were the band that… nobody… wanted to go away. Quite frankly, this reviewer could have listened to them play all night.
           
Afterward, the band availed themselves to hang out and chat. I had opportunity to talk with Mr. Greg Flesch who was extremely gracious to me and my wife and signed my CD. I also had a nice, but brief chat with Ed McTaggart (who also signed my CD). Finally, I had a chance to talk to Terry. As a side note, I had met Mr. Taylor one other time at a song-writers conference in Anaheim, Ca. back in 1987. For reference, when I met Mr. Taylor the first time I was a precocious, starry-eyed, chit-chatty 19-20 year old kid carrying around some collection of songs entitled… “Potluck Suicide” – and I… talked Terry’s ears into the abyss. Thankfully, in God’s providence, I had a chance to apologize to Mr. Taylor for that – and he sort of just laughed and accepted my apology. He remembered that day and recalled the “nightmare” of having an extemporaneous “tape reviewing” responsibility dropped in his lap. He was thoughtful enough to ask me if I was still writing songs. I tried not to talk his ear off this time, but we did get our picture taken together.

This was a “closure” moment of sorts for me, although I’ll be enthused about any of their upcoming releases and the prospect of them coming back around on tour in the future.   
So… guys… for whatever it’s worth - for the 19th time I want to say… “I love you.” 

Your Friend,
- Eric H


There are still some tour dates left to see DA this summer. Go here for info.

4 comments:

  1. nice review. i'd like to try and catch one of those upcoming western dates
    steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should. GET THEE to a DA concert.
    -Eric H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I saw them was in the early 90's. By what your saying seems like their just as good as ever. I wish I could go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are. They're better than ever imo.

    ReplyDelete